Is your business ready for attack from online criminals? Did you know that you can get free support with your online security? If you’re not already aware of it, it’s worth getting to know the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC).
The NCSC was set up in 2016 to make the UK the safest place to live and work online. They support the most critical organisations in the UK, the wider public sector, industry, SMEs as well as the general public. When incidents do occur, they provide effective incident response to minimise harm to the UK, help with recovery, and learn lessons for the future.
Helping to Make the Online World a Safe Place
Their strapline is “Helping to make the UK the safest place to live and work online”. In practical terms this means that they:
- understand cyber security, and distil this knowledge into practical guidance that’s available to all
- respond to cyber security incidents to reduce the harm they cause to organisations and the wider UK
- use industry and academic expertise to nurture the UK’s cyber security capability
- reduce risk to the UK by securing public and private sector networks
They provide these services:
- CyberAware – government advice on how to stay safe online.
- CyberFirst – programme to encourage young people in tech through cyber security.
- Cyber Essentials – helps your business to guard against cyber attack and demonstrate your commitment to it.
Free Support with Your Online Security
NCSC also run a series of free online courses. You can begin with ‘What is the NCSC’ to get a good understanding of what support is available. You can then move onto topics including Ransomware, and what you can do to protect yourself and your business.
If you suffer a Ransom attack and all else has failed you may be able to decrypt your files. Visit https://www.nomoreransom.org/en/index.html
Guides for small businesses https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/small-business-guide
Have you had an incident? Report it https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/small-business-guidance–response-and-recovery
Also for Individuals
It’s not just for businesses, and well worth a visit for individuals. For example, did you know that you can report phishing emails to email@example.com
Much more is available online. The NCSC site is well structured and easy to navigate. So you’re just a few clicks away from what you need to know.
Keep in touch
Make sure that you’re following our website and sign up for the Jones Harris enewsletter here